|Current Version: 2.X Patch Level 5 - News - About - Install Guide - Changelist - Downloads - Chat - Videos - Forum|
Brawl-: What is it?
Brawl Minus crosses boundaries with PSA to bring new potential to every aspect of gameplay. Several characters are changed so much that they’re hard to recognize, but every character retains the elements that made them interesting and unique in Vanilla, maximizing their awesomeness output for casuals and seasoned Brawl veterans alike.
Brawl Minus amps up the pace of the gameflow with faster attacks, more hitstun, and powerful mobility tools that lead to a much less passive gameplay experience.
Brawl Minus has game balance as one of its first and most important goals. That is, no character should be overpowered, and no character should be underpowered. Though characters will certainly have advantages and disadvantages, every matchup is viable if not even. Even when the situation seems impossible, playing to your character’s strengths will always find you a way to get on top, and though it will still be advantageous, the metagame will never force you to counterpick in order to win.
Fun as hell.
If it ain't broke, break it. If it is broke, break it more until it’s fixed. Balance comes first, but then comes broken. By amping up the power levels of every character, the elements that make Brawl awesome to both casual and competitive players are literally maximized to their limit. You can expect it to be pretty nuts. Balanced Brawl tried to balance everyone by putting them all on about Diddy Kong's level. Brawl+ tried to balance everyone by changing physics, then checking who was out of line. We balance everything by taking everything that makes your character great and pumping it up to levels that would make saner men flee in terror. Expect crazy action and moves you have never seen before.
About the Leading Developers
Nate Maher ("Thunda-Moo")
As project lead for Brawl Minus Maximum, it has been an overwhelming honor to work on this fantastic project with this incredible team. When I joined Brawl Minus back in 2010, I didn't have a single ounce of programming experience, but passion for this incredible project soon saw me remaking characters from scratch with nothing but a hex editor. I'm constantly astounded by how far this project has come and how far I've come as a result of this project. When Damien, the previous leader, stepped down, I was honestly pretty surprised to find the rest of the team looking to me for guidance. I loved playing Minus, I loved making Minus more fun to play, and that's really all I felt I had ever done. But I did it. I had a vision and I made it real. I'm extremely proud to release Brawl Minus Maximum, and not a single bit of it could have been done without everyone else. To the fans, the team members that have moved on, and the friends that stand proud on the team today, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
There to great me when I joined the project and here to enjoy its release by my side, Numbuh is one of the most senior team members who has been with the project through thick and thin. Eternally positive and ready to diffuse even the most heated debates, Numbuh's people skills are matched only by his excellent aesthetic sense. Numbuh has been key in keeping new input schemes feeling natural and putting the finishing graphical touches on some of our most awesome attacks, such as the Royal Rampage and Leaf Storm.
Replacement coder, taking over previous legends. Their names can be found further down the list. Random dude that playtests and comes up with insane ideas.
[More to come]
GIMMIE A BIT WHILE I FIGURE OUT WHAT AWESOME THING TO SAY ABOUT THE 20 SOME OTHER AWESOME DUDES I DON’T CURENTLY HAVE TIME TO WRTIE ABOUT
Budget Player Cadet_
AKA BPC, AKA The Cadet, AKA "Mr. Stage Rage".
The man who started it all, BPC began Brawl Minus with nothing more than a vision - A brawl hack so ridiculously stupid, it just might work (well, that and a hell of a lot of boredom). In his own words: "Let's see. No wii? Check. Mac computer, so I can't use PSA? Check. No Experience with PSA or any other brawl hacking? Check. Lives in a region that can't use PSA anyways [PAL in germany]? Check. THIS SHOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE!"
...It's really kind of a shock that the whole thing hasn't crumpled like a house of cards by now.
Lead of Quality Assurance, Xyless is always good for insightful feedback and ideas. He, BPC, and Th3 Master Composer are the current veterans of Brawl-.
Th3 Master Composer
Cranky old git. Generally has wise words on the topic of Minus, and is one of the few regulars who has really been around very long.
Stage nut from Toronto. Known by many names, from Supreme Dirt to Bowser the Train, this enigmatic man took the reins of the Minus team after BPC left the project. His knowledge of coding and humongous dreams were integral in making Minus what it is today.
Friendly neighborhood animator. With an unbelievable amount of love for ponies.
StandardToaster did much of the serious coding (and porting!) work for Brawl- for a while back in '11 after TSON and Kirk left, along with his work on Project: M.
StandardToaster's brother, and also an amazing hacker. Wow this guy is really cool with stages. Together with StarWats, he basically made almost all of our Brawl- stages, including the infamous "Lavaville".
Mostly responsible for 75m- (AKA 1337m), he worked together with MonkUnit on a lot of the Brawl- stages and is also really great in that field.
Kwalkest, AKA "TheEffinBear" on Smashmods, came on recently and basically completely recoded Samus. He's great with PSA and solid with codes. In general, he's been a major asset to the team.
Oro?! More or left kept the project alive for a while between 1.6 and 2.0. He has been on hiatus for quite a while, though.
Fucking Yoda. Kirk was one of the first coders for the project, and remains one of the best... Whenever he decides to grace us with his presence. He made many of the most famous builds, including but not limited to: 1.0 Bowser, 1.0 Ganondorf, 1.0 Captain Falcon, 1.0 Link, and the framework (and coolest parts) of 2.X Bowser. He also discovered the methods for editing articles. He's extremely missed when he's not around, and extremely loved when he is (hint hint).
Ran the project for a while. Pretty swell dude.
- Q: Is Brawl- competitive, or just for casual scrubs with too much time on their hands?
- A: No! Brawl- is incredibly competitively valid! Despite claiming to be "broken", Brawl- is amazingly well-balanced within itself, and we take pride in making everything just stupid enough so that there are no overpowering tactics, one-trick-ponies, or anything that would make game balance suffer as a result. Brawl- is incredibly competitive, and anyone claiming otherwise either has had negative experiences with an older build, or has no idea what they're talking about.
- Q: Dear Developers. Who came up with this stupid idea? Was he high, retarded, suffering from oxygen deprivation, or insane at the time?
- A: BPC, yes, no, I'm pretty sure no, maybe.
- Q: Is installing this illegal?
- A: No. This form of hacking (softmodding the console) is not illegal. It is not even dangerous to your console. According to nintendo, if you softmod your wii, your warrantee is void. However, when nintendo can't start your wii because it bricks and you DO send it in (this is rare with the HBC; like a freak chance would cause this), they (usually) don't through the trouble of checking if you have installed homebrew or not. So perfectly safe, don't worry about it. In addition, it's possible that installing the HBC won't even be necessary for the use of this hack thanks to Stack Smash (a hack that exploits the stage builder and that requires no modding whatsoever).
Update: Apparently, this does void your warrantee and breaks your EULA. However, it's best not to care about that.
- Q: I hate what you are doing! Brawl is a great game, and your modding of it is unconstitutional and makes Sakurai cry! How can we stop you?
- A: 1. Good. 2. You can't (well, you could send me (BPC) a few thousand dollars in cash, but that wouldn't really stop the other devs effectively) because we enjoy what we are doing and see nothing wrong with it. In the words of Sakurai, "If I had forever to balance the game, I would take forever and bring out a perfectly balanced game. But I don't." True, this applies less to this situation (the guys over in BBrawl use it as an excuse...), but NO U.
- Q: I'm sorry, this is the stupidest idea ever. Why don't you call it stupid brawl?
- A: That's Kirk's nickname for it. Also, Vile's. I'm not using it as the main nickname for the project because who would be attracted to it if they heard the name "Stupid Brawl"? Nah, they'd think of tripping.
- Q: Will Brawl- be like, the polar opposite of Brawl+? As in, more tripping, everyone has chaingrabs except CF and Ganon, Metaknight's tornado is a OHKO, you can react as soon as you get hit because there's no hitstun, everyone flies, and no stage is legally playable?
- A: No. In fact, Brawl- will incorporate several features that are from Brawl+. There will be no tripping, we will attempt to remove chaingrabs as much as we can, and there will be a lot of hitstun-in fact, probably a lot more than in Brawl+. We want the game to be broken, not suck.
- Q: Do you guys have a logo or something?
- A: Yeah, in fact, we do.