|Current Version: 2.X Patch Level 5 - News - About - Install Guide - Changelist - Downloads - Chat - Videos - Forum|
Brawl-: What is it?
Brawl- crosses boundaries with PSA that the other main hack projects would reject in horror. Several characters will have totally different playstyles, and some will be so changed that they are hard to recognize.
Brawl- incorporates very, very fast gameplay (many attacks and characters have been sped up considerably) with a copolous amount of hitstun for a very fast gameplay style.
Brawl- has as one of the first and foremost goals, "fairness". That is, no character should be overpowered, and no character should be underpowered. We don't want another Street Fighter 2 where there is one character who kicks the crap out of everyone else.
Broken as hell.
Remember when we said crazy? Brawl- is also known as "Broken Brawl", "Stupid Brawl", and several other less tasteful names. The basic concept of Brawl- is "if it ain't broken, break it until it gets better. If it is broken, act like it isn't and break it until it gets better." Does this mean we will put balance last? Hell no, we put fair ahead of Broken. But it does mean that you can expect it to be pretty nuts. Balanced Brawl tried to balance everyone by putting them all on about Diddy Kong's level. Brawl+ tried to balance everyone by changing physics, then checking who was out of line. We will try to balance everything by taking everyone and putting them all on the level of, approximately, Akuma from street fighter 2 turbo. Expect crazy action and moves you may never have seen before.
About the Leading Developers
Budget Player Cadet_
AKA BPC, AKA The Cadet, AKA "Mr. Stage Rage".
BPC started Brawl- with nothing more than a vision - A brawl hack so ridiculously stupid, it just might work (well, that and a hell of a lot of boredom). In his (my) own words: "Let's see. No wii? Check. Mac computer, so I can't use PSA? Check. No Experience with PSA or any other brawl hacking? Check. Lives in a region that can't use PSA anyways [PAL in germany]? Check. THIS SHOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE!"
...It's really kind of a shock that the whole thing hasn't crumpled like a house of cards by now.
Lead of Quality Assurance, Xyless is always good for insightful feedback and ideas. He, BPC, and Th3 Master Composer are the current veterans of Brawl-.
Th3 Master Composer
Cranky old git. Generally has wise words on the topic of Minus, and is one of the few regulars who has really been around very long.
Stage nut from Toronto. Dirt has joined very recently, being a strong asset to the team in various ways ("You know how to do what?!"). He is currently fostering a strong Brawl- community in Ontario, and will be hosting his first Brawl- tournament in May. He also commonly hosts smashfests.
Replacement coder, taking over previous legends. Their names can be found further down the list. Random dude that playtests and comes up with insane ideas.
One of the most eager people I've ever had on the team, Thunda has been a massive help to the project overall. He came with essentially no knowledge of coding, and I taught him the basics of PSA... Next thing I know, he's investigating fighter.pac and really getting into the guts of the game. He really cares about the project, and I'm happy to have him on.
Friendly neighborhood animator. With an unbelievable amount of love for ponies.
StandardToaster did much of the serious coding (and porting!) work for Brawl- for a while back in '11 after TSON and Kirk left, along with his work on Project: M.
StandardToaster's brother, and also an amazing hacker. Wow this guy is really cool with stages. Together with StarWats, he basically made almost all of our Brawl- stages, including the infamous "Lavaville".
Mostly responsible for 75m- (AKA 1337m), he worked together with MonkUnit on a lot of the Brawl- stages and is also really great in that field.
Kwalkest, AKA "TheEffinBear" on Smashmods, came on recently and basically completely recoded Samus. He's great with PSA and solid with codes. In general, he's been a major asset to the team.
Oro?! More or left kept the project alive for a while between 1.6 and 2.0. He has been on hiatus for quite a while, though.
Fucking Yoda. Kirk was one of the first coders for the project, and remains one of the best... Whenever he decides to grace us with his presence. He made many of the most famous builds, including but not limited to: 1.0 Bowser, 1.0 Ganondorf, 1.0 Captain Falcon, 1.0 Link, and the framework (and coolest parts) of 2.X Bowser. He also discovered the methods for editing articles. He's extremely missed when he's not around, and extremely loved when he is (hint hint).
Ran the project for a while. Pretty swell dude.
- Q: Is Brawl- competitive, or just for casual scrubs with too much time on their hands?
- A: No! Brawl- is incredibly competitively valid! Despite claiming to be "broken", Brawl- is amazingly well-balanced within itself, and we take pride in making everything just stupid enough so that there are no overpowering tactics, one-trick-ponies, or anything that would make game balance suffer as a result. Brawl- is incredibly competitive, and anyone claiming otherwise either has had negative experiences with an older build, or has no idea what they're talking about.
- Q: Dear Developers. Who came up with this stupid idea? Was he high, retarded, suffering from oxygen deprivation, or insane at the time?
- A: BPC, yes, no, I'm pretty sure no, maybe.
- Q: Is installing this illegal?
- A: No. This form of hacking (softmodding the console) is not illegal. It is not even dangerous to your console. According to nintendo, if you softmod your wii, your warrantee is void. However, when nintendo can't start your wii because it bricks and you DO send it in (this is rare with the HBC; like a freak chance would cause this), they (usually) don't through the trouble of checking if you have installed homebrew or not. So perfectly safe, don't worry about it. In addition, it's possible that installing the HBC won't even be necessary for the use of this hack thanks to Stack Smash (a hack that exploits the stage builder and that requires no modding whatsoever).
Update: Apparently, this does void your warrantee and breaks your EULA. However, it's best not to care about that.
- Q: I hate what you are doing! Brawl is a great game, and your modding of it is unconstitutional and makes Sakurai cry! How can we stop you?
- A: 1. Good. 2. You can't (well, you could send me (BPC) a few thousand dollars in cash, but that wouldn't really stop the other devs effectively) because we enjoy what we are doing and see nothing wrong with it. In the words of Sakurai, "If I had forever to balance the game, I would take forever and bring out a perfectly balanced game. But I don't." True, this applies less to this situation (the guys over in BBrawl use it as an excuse...), but NO U.
- Q: I'm sorry, this is the stupidest idea ever. Why don't you call it stupid brawl?
- A: That's Kirk's nickname for it. Also, Vile's. I'm not using it as the main nickname for the project because who would be attracted to it if they heard the name "Stupid Brawl"? Nah, they'd think of tripping.
- Q: Will Brawl- be like, the polar opposite of Brawl+? As in, more tripping, everyone has chaingrabs except CF and Ganon, Metaknight's tornado is a OHKO, you can react as soon as you get hit because there's no hitstun, everyone flies, and no stage is legally playable?
- A: No. In fact, Brawl- will incorporate several features that are from Brawl+. There will be no tripping, we will attempt to remove chaingrabs as much as we can, and there will be a lot of hitstun-in fact, probably a lot more than in Brawl+. We want the game to be broken, not suck.
- Q: Do you guys have a logo or something?
- A: Yeah, in fact, we do.